Saturday, May 25, 2013

Starting a Small Campaign, the Gothridge Manor way

I'm a little busy today with work, then training, and then more work. After both are done, I have to finish doing prep for my game session tomorrow.

Are you running a game?

If not, this great post by Tim Shorts explains how little you really need to do in order to be running a game. It doesn't have to be complete, or perfect. It just has to be sufficient to cover a few sessions. His post outlines what that really boils down to, at least in a fantasy world.

6 Steps to Starting a Small Campaign

Sure, it says "small campaign" but it's a seed for a bigger one, once the players get some buy in to the setting through their adventures there. A throwaway game I did to satisfy my old buddy's urge to get back into gaming turned in a 10-year campaign this way, with even less prep than Tim is suggesting. You could do the prep for a game like than in an afternoon, and have it run indefinitely.

While I'm off writing up monster stats and stocking rooms, please take the time to check that article out.

2 comments:

  1. I always liked Jeff Rients's Twenty Questions as a good starting point for creation:

    http://jrients.blogspot.com/2011/04/twenty-quick-questions-for-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peter, thanks for the shout out. I also like Jeff's 20 questions. So many good ways to just get the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...