I wanted to give a quick test run to my bones and craft paints.
I realized you can barely see any mold lines on the rats from the Dungeon Attack set that came with my bones, so I decided to paint them up. This saved me a lot of prep time, and meant I wasn't terribly invested in the minis, either. They're rats, for goodness' sake. If I give them a good base color and then glaze them with Army Painter Quickshade, I'm done.
The hydrophobic nature of the bones repelled my (fairly thin) Apple Barrel Colors Black paint.
But it took my Apple Barrel Colors Pewter Grey very easily.
Since I mostly paint over grey or black primer anyway, I decided to color the minis grey.
Admission time: I never thin my paints. I paint straight out of the bottle cap after a quick shake, and I only thin for washes or if the paint gets too thick from age or heat. Otherwise, I don't care to thin them. So painting the bones with "straight" paint was normal for me.
All-in-all, it worked well. It took 2-3 attempts to get everywhere, mostly because I worked quickly and didn't always check my work to ensure I got everywhere.
I also wanted to try out bending the mini to get at nooks and crannies - it worked. The Bones bend and then go right back to their original pose. Nice.
The ABC paints didn't flake off when I flexed them, either, which makes me happy. "Dump them in a bag" is easier for transport than "put the in individual nooks in my transport cases."
Next up is some brown (with the grey giving a base to color the brown and give it something to stick to) or darker grey ('cuz I like grey rats) and then once that dries they get glazed and then sealed. I took some pictures, but I'll post them once I've gotten through the lot.
I'm enjoying this so far, and I've gotten most of the way through my preliminary trade pile. I just need to check my non-dupes to see what else I don't care to own.