Friday, November 17, 2017

Golden Swordsmen and Goldcat minis

The gold cat is a TSR Star Frontiers megasaurus:



To make it a magical, interesting, special creature I wanted a non-standard non-earthly color. I pretty much painted that one up gold because, well, why not.

Once that was done, I put it in storage and kept it in mind.


Then I got around much later to painting the golden swordsmen.





The golden swordsmen are I-Kore Flesh Eaters. I got them because I thought they looked fairly Githyanki or Githzerai-ish.


They're intended to be undead but don't look rotted. So I used a paint scheme that made them look like the cover of the Fiend Folio with its Githyanki - gold, yellow, brown.



Once they were in-process I realized they'd match up well with the golden cat. I started to think of a synergistic set of abilities and powers and you end up with deaf/mute warriors with a "pet" with sound-based attack powers.

I'm quite happy with these guys. They had stayed half-painted for a long, long time until I just suddenly rushed and finished them. For all the rush might have detracted from the minis, I think it forced me to paint better and not second-guess my color scheme. Brown, gold, and yellow is a tough combo but they look good on the table.





2 comments:

  1. these guys were a great battle and the minis really helped. they looked creepy and dangerous.
    I'm glad Hayden took one of their blades.
    We should ask andi to bring weird dice or coins for the blade users to put on their sheet when they have used the whetstone, since we ALWAYS forget the +1 to the first strike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I realize I mis-spoke on that - it doesn't give a +1 on the first strike with their golden blades, it's required to put on edge on those blades. It will work as a Dwarven whetstone on other blades, though.

      Generally people don't forget the +1, they just never actually declare they are sharpening with a Dwarven whetstone, no one owns one anymore that I know of, and so it's just not used.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...