Saturday, January 20, 2018

Trampier Bugbears

I don't use AD&D-style bugbears. I use the bugbears I made up for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 - boogeymen-like stalkers who choke and club and murder.

But I just love this picture of Bugbears from David Trampier in D1 / D1-2:



I'm re-reading D1, D2 (and D1-2) and D3 to review them, and it brought back how much I love the artwork in them. That piece especially. It makes me kind of wish I had used AD&D bugbears, so I could use that picture for them.

4 comments:

  1. Everytime I see this picture I see bugbears as a race of Jimmy Durantes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecpe48T3AMo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Tramp - everything is Gygax or Durante.

      By the way, renaming them "the Duranti" would make a good in-joke for a game with a lot of faux latin race names.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Everything is Gygax or Durante, or as Gary himself noted, something that bears a striking resemblance to Trampier himself. Look at a photo of Tramp and then look through the Players Handbook, including the cover.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...