Monday, September 21, 2026

Rules & Rulings from 9/20/26

Not a lot of rulings from yesterday's session, but here they are.

- Orders are from the Monday after session, unless the party returns Monday or later. In those cases it's +1 day after. The group always arrives late to town, and you can't run directly into town, sell everything on Sunday night at maximum available price, and then place orders for gear. That's a Monday thing.

- We rolling stunning and knockdown seperately, because I think that's more realistic and way cooler at the same time. We roll them in that order - stunning, knockdown. Does that matter? No. But sometimes people click the rolls twice and aren't sure which was for which roll. Stunning, knockdown.

- You can dodge the blast radius of an explosion when it's behind you, but only if you saw the shot pass . . . and are willing to dodge and retreat regardless of where it actually hits. You might guess wrong and dodge something that isn't a threat.

I ruled something else but I forget now what it was. I was pre-ruling on something before Vic asks when Jon tries it, but I forget what it was. Heh.

Related, what about bringing a not-fully-dead foe into town?

Town is safe, but only if the players also treat it as safe for everyone and everything else. So, bringing a weird creature to town to get help from in-town people to look at it? Borderline. Getting help killing it, or killing it, or potentially questioning it if it's able to be questioned? No. That makes town not safe across the board and thus not safe for the PCs, either. If the PCs rob NPCs in town, NPCs will rob the PCs in town. Kill NPCs? Kill PCs. It's all equal-ish, but determined by the GM not by anyone else. Rules-edging or boundry-edging by the players could result in disaster.

So nothing in town will do for killing this Gith they brought home. They could do it and did it, but there is going to be a bit of unpleasant association for the PCs for a while. I didn't warn them directly, but I don't think I needed to have to - town is safe unless you violate that, and this is pushing a boundary a bit.

They're looking to do some research, but because this is a special circumstance, I need explanation on what they're exactly doing, what they're hiring someone for, and then we'll make the rolls and pay the funds to deal with it. This isn't routine.

4 comments:

  1. Seems like one version of fair call here would be to assume that the Friendly Neighborhood Town Guard would say "um...you want to bring in the corpse for study?" Um...weird dungeon guys.

    Then when someone/The Church of the Good God figures out that our Gith is only MOSTLY dead, it's "um, no. The Harmonized Terror Schedule for that has changed from 1003.39.3000 "Mostly harmless alchemical reagents" or 3003.20.1000 "Trophies, Dungeon Loot, Misc" to 6666.66.10 "Bioweapons and Demonic Eldritch Vampires that can kill the entire town" or "1890.08.20 Things Man Was Not Meant To Know, Much Less Frack Around With" to be withdrawn from Town forthwith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to err on the side of "go ahead." No one asks foolish questions of highly lethal grumpy and tired looking delvers toting corpses in bags.

      But once you start waving it around town, the townies start saying, "Er, yes, not here, okay?" or "I'd like nothing to do with that" or "How about burying that thing?"

      There canonically aren't town guards in Stericksburg. There are militia, so it's townies at the gate, either private citizens doing their turn, hired soldiers doing some wealthy townie's turn (Vryce did that, for example), or guilds sending their apprentices and journeymen out to do work. Wizards Guild apprentices will spot your magic items as you walk in, by the way, so no, that magic sword of instant destruction that you plan to keep secret has been mentioned to the guildmasters as soon as the shift ends if not immediately via a paid messenger.

      And meta - you can push anything you like, but if you brought a potentially coming back dead thing to town . . . it may rise up, or get risen up. If you bring adventure to town, you can turn town into an adventure area. It's why I didn't let people bring a captured gnoll back to town to question. Once back in town, that gnoll would have been a free, protected NPC. In Felltower, well, the law says do as you will.

      Delete
  2. I quite literally laughed out loud at this: “I ruled something else but I forget now what it was. I was pre-ruling on something before Vic asks when Jon tries it, but I forget what it was. Heh.” I wish I could remember what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll remember eventually. It probably has something to do with one of the magic items or potions that finally got identified.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...