Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Glen Cook Bundle of Holding

Brief return from my away-from-keyboard status for this one:

Glen Cook Bundle of Holding

If you go for the full version, you get:

- the Darkwar trilogy
- the Starfishers trilogy + Passage at Arms (a Star Fishers side novel)
- the Dread Empire series (including the short story collection An Empire Unacquainted with Defeat)
- Sung in Blood, A Matter of Time, The Swordbearer, and The Dragon Never Sleeps

I spent $25.50 for those. Worth it. Sadly no Black Company or Garrett, P.I. books, or oddly Heirs of Babylon, but either way here you go.

My previous GURPS campaign drew a fair amount on the Dread Empire for my approach to the world. My current character, Handsome, probably draws more than a little from the alcholic, murderously efficient unnamed bowman from the Vengeful Dragon from the story "Ghost Stalk" in An Empire Unacquainted with Defeat. I try to hand out all of the candy to the PCs just like in the ferociously fast-paced The Swordbearer. And the Star Fishers books are just excellent stuff. Darkwar gets a bad rep, in my experience, but it's bleak and good at the same time.

I'm an unapologetic fan of Glen Cook's work. I started with The Black Company and never looked back. This might be a good way in for you, too. Or for me, a way to ensure I can read this while hanging around waiting for trains in Japan this summer. Any excuse to re-read The Dragon Never Sleeps is a good excuse.

Now I just need them to do this for Gene Wolfe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...