Sunday, September 8, 2024

TWW: Persian Gulf - Finished

I finished out my standard-length (8 war turns) game of Persian Gulf tonight.

In the end, it was a NATO Substantial Victory. That seems odd, give that, at the end of the game:

- the Turks had been crushed almost entirely
- Iraq was half overrun and over 50% of its military forces were destroyed
- the Jordanian forces had been totally destroyed
- All of central Iran was controlled by the Soviets (albeit narrowly)

What bailed out NATO was aggressive counterattacking and the limited time that the Soviets had thanks to very late mobilization of the Southern Military Districts. That and the fact that only oil fields and forcing surrenders really helps, and the Soviets couldn't force anyone to surrender. They couldn't get to the gulf, either, thanks to the USMC seizing all of the ports. In the end, the Soviets were in a solid position but ran out of time.

I'll post pictures tomorrow if I can, edited back into this post. I have a lot of cleanup to do, since I don't want to just pour everything back into the box. Overall, it was a very satisfying game. If I play another in the series, it'll likely be Southern Front (which might be my favorite) or Artic Front (which is my least favorite, so I think I need to give it another chance.) More likely, I'll work up a game of Fire in the Lake, instead, or dust off Victory in Europe and finally give that a go. But that's for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...