Tuesday, March 31, 2020

DH Boggs on Treasure Placement & Character Advancement

D.H. Boggs has an interesting post on treasure placement in OD&D and Dave Arneson's campaigns.

Character Growth and Dungeon Stocking

I tend to agree with him on a point I first came across on OSR blogs: Treasure Type for Wilderness only. Seems unlikely to me, and it's not how we played it anyway, rightly or wrongly, back in in the early to mid 80s.

I'm a big fan of systems for treasure placement. I liked AD&D's system of specific rolls for specific types, but I liked Rolemaster's system of rolls for total value of treasure a lot more. Guess which more heavily influenced my own system? A system which, hopefully, will get to see the light of official publication some day.

3 comments:

  1. "A system which, hopefully, will get to see the light of official publication some day."

    What is holding you back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to make sure I have a good place for it, and that I'll be paid for that book. I mean I could post it for free, but I vastly prefer to get paid for my words and have them get some official status.

      Delete
    2. If it's too small for SJG, have you tried hitting up Doug and getting space (and pay) in a Nordlond book?

      I mean, I'm sure he's got tons of ideas and books on the burner... but...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...