What newly featured rules in GURPS Basic Set will make it to Felltower?
Note this isn't automatic. We, by default, play with the DFRPG rules, adding in assorted extras from other sourcebooks. We don't automatically use all rules from Basic Set.
In no particular order, here are the ones I think we'll have to think about.
All-Out Defense (Mental Defense) - long requested, and I like it. This one is in. I don't see it getting used much, except everyone will start to ask if they can use it for a bonus on Will rolls outside of combat, to Will-based rolls outside of combat, to Will-based rolls in combat, etc. So no, it won't do that. It's a flat bonus to resist supernatural attacks if focus and concentration would matter in the GM's opinion.
All-Out Concentrate. Hmm. This is one I need to think about. Long requested, but it is basically a +1 to all spells outside of combat. Sure, sure, those don't matter too much, and failure is unusual . . . except this is a +1 to all Information spells. All of them. Always. No one casts Seek anything in combat. I may consider allowing this but say it does not affect Information spells. And you might need a Will roll to keep AOC going for the whole length of a long spell like Summon Demon or Zombie.
Simplified Range - we already do this most of the time.
Expanded hit locations - nope. Not that kind of a game.
Flat Cost Signature Gear - we already do this.
Retreat facing change - I'm okay with this, kind of. It's a bigger change than it looks - instead of facing the hex you left, you can face another hexside within limits. If it annoys us (me) in combat, it'll go.
Statistically Speaking - yes, if it seems like a good solution to large-group fights. My call when to use it or not.
Not much of anything else really changes anything for DFRPG.
I can see "Statistically Speaking" being helpful for the GM for things like the example on the bottom right of p. 570. I also like the simplified range, although with the VTT, it generally makes the range penalties easier when you click on the target. For ToTM combat, yeah, Close/Short/Medium at 0/-3/-7 is great.
ReplyDeleteDid we ever do ranged feint? I assume we don't want to (I couldn't remember if this was in play, but nobody uses it, or if it is not in play—likely unnecessary anyway).
No one has even tried it, so I can't even tell you if it was meant to be in play at some point. I generally hear arguments about "how would he see that arrow coming?" and not "he can totally see me faking a shot and fall for it." It wouldn't surprise me to hear them both, though, on the same shot.
Deleteisn't ranged feint like when you pretend to throw the ball for a dog to chase?
DeleteThat's one, yes.
DeleteAlways interesting to see what an experienced GM does and doesn't use, so thanks for the peek. But one question about "Retreat facing change":
ReplyDeleteI can't find any mention in Revised of a change regarding retreats and facing. Are you maybe referring to the clarification on Revised p386 about Step and unlimited facing change?
It's not a change to the rules, it's a change to our approach, which has long been that you have to face the hex you left when you Retreat. Being able to *not* change your facing, especially when using Retreat out to a rear-side hex not straight back, and then being able to change it once more, means you could potentially Retreat and then pick a facing that makes the next foe's attack a front arc attack instead of side or back. And that *will* cause people to spend a lot of time when they Retreat trying to optimize their facing for the next attack. The rule we used - you must face the hex you left - vastly simplified it. So will I use what's written, or what we've used to date? I'm leaning to the latter.
DeleteWhen I contemplated this, it was "if we do facing change during a retreat, have at it ... but if someone runs around to your rear hex you suffer the 'no can defend' penalties that run-around rules are designed to mitigate. so sure...you can rotate during your retreat. But the presumption that you are always pivoting a bit to track an attacker goes by the board if pivot is under active control of the player. Actions have consequences and if you show a foe your back, expect the knife.
ReplyDelete