Monday, September 23, 2013

Getting closer to GMing online

I'm getting closer to running at least a single one-off online game set in my "Felltower" megadungeon.

Taking a hint from Courtney at Hack & Slash, I'm likely to skip all of that online tool stuff and just play by Google Plus Hangout or Skype, let you roll your own dice, and resolve any map issues by using only my quick combat approach. I trust my players to roll their own dice, and I hate the idea of spending time turning my hand-drawn maps into online maps and figuring out the tools. Just jump in the game and tell me what you rolled.

The big question will be, when the hell can I run this? I'm busy all mornings and most nights, and the few free Sundays I have I will spending running my face-to-face game. So it might have to be a series of one-shots, not a regular game, and I'll play with whomever makes it out.

But I'm pretty much going to find a day I can run game, set it up and play it. One of my FTF guys might be in on it, if we can coordinate schedules - he's too far to attend regular games.

So the real progress is, I'm going to do this - it's just starting to be a question of when.

9 comments:

  1. Well, if we can find a compatible time slot, count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be spoiled for potential players, Peter. I suspect we'll all be lining up, assuming schedules jibe, and you're taking open auditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, I can't wait to see if my schedule works for this. And if everyone else hasn't already beaten me to the punch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I figure I'll do is, for the first one, dragoon a couple people I've gamed with and give it a test run. Once I get a better feel for what's involved I'll start opening it up on a larger basis to let more people in to play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've recently started running my B/X-ish D&D game on Google plus with Roll20. It works like an app inside g+ and was intimidating at first but once I figured how to turn off the stuff for 3e or 4e D&D I find I like it. Before we were using the Bones dice app in G+ and Twiddla to draw maps and everybody would have it up in a separate window. In Roll20 I scan in my had drawn maps and turn off the grid and the snapping to the grid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played some sessions with Roll20, but I spent most of my time trying to fight the interface. So I'm not sure I'm up to trying that again. I do think I need something to sketch on, though, if only because a few rooms are hard to describe but easy for me to draw. The dungeon entranceway, for example.

      Delete
  7. Sign me up. Also: It's Gurps, right? I've never done it, but what corebooks do you use again for reference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put up a list when it gets closer, but all you really need is Basic Set: Characters, and DF1. Also, GURPS Magic if want to run a spellcaster. You can get by with GURPS Lite, even.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...