Wednesday, June 8, 2022

I wish I could link to "Digging Yourself out of a Corner"

Way back in the day - I want to say in 1999-2000, I wrote a Pyramid article that covers exactly the situation the PCs in Felltower are in, now. It's from a GM's perspective, and it was called Digging Yourself out of Corner. I wrote it after someone threw out the old, "Let's see you do better!" after I critized the (I considered poor) advice of a major game designer who was writing for Pyramid at the time. So I stepped up.

The intro is available as a sample here.

Sadly, that's all that is accessible.

I have a HTML rip of the page from back in the day. I'm not even sure I'm supposed to, but I did write it, and I do have the .doc format file around on one of my drives. I'm just bummed that I can't share it, refer to it (and point a link to the full version.) I hate to do a post saying, "I wrote this thing and you can't see this thing." Sadly, it is the situation here. I wrote the thing, it covers this ground, and it would be a useful read for everyone involved in the session and many reading about it. It would be excellent if SJG could just make these things available in some fashion, even paid. A lot of my work languishes in limbo, not available but not free for me to release, either.

I will say I'm not going to use GM fiat here. It's not that kind of game or situation - I didn't inflict this and regret it, I just reffed it in my view. But it does explain some ways that situations like this can be resolved with GM fiat, and some ways that are really just acknowledgements that all NPCs are not murder-hobos like their opponents often are!

3 comments:

  1. I remember reading it back then. Yeah, all those articles shold be collected and rereleased,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just repost it. Do you believe the individuals who comprise Steve Jackson Games despise you so much they’ll sue you over a 20+ year old article that no one has read?

    Change a word. Move one sentence around. There are a million ways to deal with this. Ultimately, Nike it — just do it. It’s not wrong, it’s not evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reposting it without permission just isn't something I am going to do.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...