Saturday, August 28, 2021

Game Prep Day

We're playing tomorrow.

I'm uploading maps to Roll20, since we're still stuck on that until the end of this Cold Fens kick my PCs are on. It's a completely non-enjoyable process. I expect to need a couple of them for tactical fights as I can't see a way to "theatre of the mind" some of the fights. Honestly, with a smaller group, back a few years ago, we played mapless for lots of fights. I know, though, that's ultimately unsatisfying for my players. They're willing to do mapless, as long as it's mapless tactical combat (with steps, Retreat, facing, flanking, etc. etc. etc.). It's a key benefit of GURPS, but it's not a strictly necessary one, but becomes so if everyone insists on ekeing out the benefits of it as a basis of all combat.

So, I'm here on a Saturday afternoon uploading maps.

I don't expect to use more than one, because tactical combat is also slow. There is almost no way I can believe the PCs will swiftly and easily penetrate into Sakatha's lair, pass the obstacles on the way, defeat at least one group of foes in a tactical fight, and then learn (and resolve) whatever is behind that. It's not going to happen. But I don't want to deal with Roll20 map-making any more than I have to, so I'll deal with it all today.

I believe I already have lizard men tokens, I just need to find them. I hope I can - they'll be buried on some map or another.

I just took a few minutes to write this out before I go back to uploading and being frustrated.

1 comment:

  1. Someday someone will write a VVT that easy and intuitive to use. Unfortunately we aren't there yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...