Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Recent Aquisitions

My recent acquisitions, via eBay, Amazon.com, e23, my FLGS, and Jerry's.



You'll have to imagine the copy of GURPS Power-Ups 4 I bought, since I left my printout of it at work, sigh. It's good though.

I recently had to refer to my copy of D1-2 to check something and it was pretty tattered and battered. So I decided to, what the hell, get the monochrome originals. So I did. I got Bone Hill because for some reason my cousin's copy disappeared between his ceasing to game and his mom asking me to come clear out his stuff if I wanted it. Plus, it was cheap, cheap, cheap.

I finally broke down and got some painting supplies: I got a container of Army Painter Quickshade (Strong Tone) to try out, and I decided that my long-battered W&N Series 7 size 0 needed replacement. It's just old, and I tend to paint with one brush for an entire session so that brush has seen immense usage in the 7 or 8 years (at least) I've owned it. I got a 0 and a 00. I'm a crappy painter and I use cheap paints (craft store acrylics, mostly, plus specialty game colors) but it's worth the cost - one brush that lasts 7-8 years is better than replacing $1 cheap brushes every 6 months.

And does GW not make inks anymore? None of the game stores I went to had them, and this kills my painting methods for skeletons:

Step 1: Prime White.

Step 2: Cover with Chestnut Ink

Step 3: Dry brush white and ivory on the bone.

Step 4: Paint equipment and/or eyes.

Step 5: Seal.

Now what the hell do I do? I hope the quickshade works to replace step 2 (I'd do steps 1, 3, 4, 2, 5)

4 comments:

  1. GW changed their whole colour pallete a couple days ago and now there's no "Ink" among their products (and I'm not sure if it existed a month ago, but I'm not painting often).
    I think that new Shades are closest to Inks, but I'm no expert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw the shades, but they're too expensive for a "maybe this is the same" kind of thing.

      My inks all dried while I was overseas for a few years, and now I'm stuck with clever methods and no tools. :(

      Delete
    2. Unless they've re-formulated them the shades aren't the same as the old inks. I got them when they first came out and they are good but, more matt than the satiny inks and I find they don't flow into crevices as well as ink.

      Vallejo still do inks so I got some of them and like everything else they're better than GW if only 'cause of the dropper bottles. The Smoky Ink is really useful.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for letting me know!

      I think I have Vallejo smoke paint, not sure if it's the same as the ink. It's many years old by this point, so maybe not.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...