In general, do you prefer to:
- Spend your points as they come, making lots of small purchases;
- save up and spend them all in a big whack, making either one big purchase or a bundle of small ones?
I personally do the latter almost always. I think that's a combination of things.
- I just assume I'm going to survive. I don't really mind dying with saved points. I haven't had a lot of GURPS PCs die, so that might be part of it.
- I'm always more interested in the big stuff than the small stuff. A +1 to a skill might be nice, or an extra HP. But +2 to ST, acquiring a nifty high-cost Power-Up or getting Luck might change my character's capability in a broad or deep way.
- I can't really make up my mind so easily.
I think that combination is why my Gamma Terra guy spent 10 points on +5 HP and hasn't spent anything since. It's why when I briefly played in a friend's modern GURPS game I never actually spent any points from the sessions I played. I just held on to them.
I get the temptation to spend now - there is always something you can use right now - but I don't feel it.
How about you guys? I really mean how you spend - not until you have a lot saved or as you go - not what you spend it on. That's what I'm curious about.