Wednesday, April 8, 2020

New Brushes

I ordered some new brushes as soon as I ended up with extra time thanks to COVID-19 work schedule changes. It took a couple of weeks for them to finally ship (and then they came the next day.)

Here they are:

It's a new Windsor & Newton Series 7 size 00 to replace my worn-out 00, which finally died just before this whole thing hit, and a set of ProArte brushes that Amazon.com had for a lot less than individual brushes would cost me. The set includes a 0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 10/0, and 20/0.



They'll replace some 0, 5/0, and 20/0 and other assorted 1s and 0s and 00s that have worn out.



So far they seem pretty good. I can finally get back to painting without needing to use a W&N 0 to paint literally everything that requires some detail work.

2 comments:

  1. I never mastered using different sized brushes outside of the five I primarily use (despite having bought two sets that run the gamut from like 10 hairs thick to 'not quite' wall brush).

    I use a very, very fine point brush for detail work, a eh, 'medium' (?)* brush for 'not so fine details', and a 'slap paint on it' sized brush for, well, slappin paint on it. And two dry brushes, one was my old 'fine detail' brush which is slightly smaller than my 'medium' brush, and the other is a 'slap paint on it' sized dry brush. The dry brushes were my very first non-plastic bristle brushes I bought back before the internet existed (actually picked them up in the early 80's).

    I couldn't reliably tell you what size the ones I use are since the writing on the barrels wore off decades ago. I could tell you what size they aren't, as the other brushes are like practically unused.


    * I say 'medium' as it's pretty much in the middle between the 'super fine detail' and 'slap paint on it' sized brushes for 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦𝘴. Most of my brushes are from a 'professional' set aimed more at 'art' painters, so the largest is like an inch wide (I got the set 'cheap' during a hobby store shutdown sale for 50$ in 1990).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to go for a similar approach, but the price on these was about what I expected to pay for a new 20/0, new 3/0, and new 0. so I figured why not. I'll find a way to use the 10/0, 5/0, etc. somehow.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...