Friday, January 8, 2021

Random Links for 1/8/21

- I enjoyed this look back on The Hobbit. I actually was reminded of The Hobbit text game on Sunday, and my friend found a playable web version. So I'll be playing that through. Now I know to hustle a bit so I don't get stuck in a "walking dead" scenario. That was very frustrating when I was 10 or 11.

The Forgotten Hobbit

- Remember, you were the new guys the old guys despised, once.

When Grognards Were Munchkins

- I bought Runequest 2nd edition but basically wanted this:

Retrospective: Basic Role-Playing

- Here is the series on Polytheism I was hoping was out there when I wrote this post.

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

It skewers some ideas I long disliked in gaming polytheism - automatic assumption of professional priesthoods, big powerful gods only (no "small" gods), all gods being automatically immortal and immaterial (even in belief systems that had mortal, very physically present gods), and the folly of atheism (you don't believe in gods that are actual as real as breathable air?)

Great stuff.

6 comments:

  1. That Bret Deveraux is great. Glad you linked to him earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin Alexander had a couple of posts on religion in D&D in the last couple of weeks:

    https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/45687/roleplaying-games/reactions-to-odd-gods-clerics
    https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/45754/roleplaying-games/random-worldbuilding-keeping-faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Here is the series on Polytheism I was hoping was out there when I wrote this post."

    Nice! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That series on polytheism is so useful I have linked to it myself so I can easily find it again:

    https://aftertheogre.blogspot.com/2021/01/polytheism-in-history-and-gaming.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...