Saturday, June 24, 2023

Random Links for 6/24/2023

I was unfortunately too busy yesterday to post, so we'll have to post random links and such today!

- Doug has launched a new TFT Kickstarter. I have zero interest in TFT, but Doug has a business stake in it, so I'd be remiss if I didn't pass along the word in case you have some interest. Plus it's written by David Pulver.

- I've been playing a LG playthrough of Planescape: Torment. It's both more limited than, but more rewarding thing, a CE playthrough.

- Vic is running game tomorrow, so we'll see Handsome the Half-Orc in action.

- There is a Cowboy Bebop RPG? Interesting. I'm curious how they handle the economy. I can't see how I'd need this, as it should be easy enough to run in GURPS 4th edition, but still, it's interesting to know it's out there and I like Cowboy Bebop a lot.

2 comments:

  1. I’m rewatching and my wife is watching the Netflix series right now. We both watched and enjoyed the anime years ago. You’re right it would be relatively easy in GURPS and also that in many “struggling from flight to flight” genres like CB and Firefly the economy is more plot based than rigorous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Cowboy Bebop RPG and I like it a lot. It's a very different beast from GURPS, and claims to take mechanical inspiration from systems like Blades in the Dark. I'm not familiar with those games but I did like what I saw here a lot.

    The rules are less concerned with the nitty-gritty procedural detail of character actions and more with their general approach and visual elements. They're quite focused on replicating the structure of an episode from the show, and on how the PCs relate to their troubled pasts (every PC has one of those).

    Due to the focus on that part of the narrative, it doesn't actually have an "economy". One of it's major themes is that Money Is Never Enough but It's Never a Problem. So your characters can always complain things are tight and always have a reason to go after the next bounty, but they can never actually go broke. The group gets a "mothership" to live in and every PC gets a MONO racer plus around five traits that can be bits of gear, implants or anything else. You gain more traits when you complete an adventure successfully, which doesn't actually need to involve catching the bounty depending on how the story develops in play.

    This is a system that definitely passes the "GURPS threshold" for me in that I would love to play a campaign using its rules because they bring a lot of unique things to the table.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...