Sunday, June 19, 2016

DF Felltower: Staff of Healing

A long ways back, the PCs in my Felltower game found a Staff of Healing.

They lost it not all that long after that.

But last session, they found it again, very close to where they lost it. They'd last seen it strapped to Inquisitor Marco, who was drowning in his heavy armor. Next time they found it, it was coated with a slippery (-2 to DX rolls to hold onto it) neutral buoyancy water-resistant fish slime and in the hands of a fishman of some kind.

Staff of Healing
Power Item: 1 FP
A knobbed wooden staff, useful as a quarterstaff but with -2 to hit and -1 damage. Can cast Minor Healing, once per person per day, maximum power based on Power Investiture. PI 1-3, heals 3 points, PI 4, 4 points, PI 5, 5 points, PI 6, 6 points. No energy cost to the wielder, no charges. Weighs 4 lbs., 7' long. Looks like Moses's staff from The Ten Commandments.



(It doesn't seem like it can turn into a snake, though, but I suppose if you ask and roll well enough on a prayer roll (see Last Ditch, DF2, p. 15) the Good God might do that for you. That's pretty much what Charlton Heston did. I mean Moses.

And it doesn't say so in the description, but it only works for Holy users, and if you're using DF7's cleric variations, it should work only for those gods that lean more towards healing and pacifism, and who have access to Minor Healing and Major Healing. It's inappropriate for war gods, unholy gods, gods of luck or harvests, etc. and more appropriate for nice, peaceful gods of healing.)

Since this is basically a D&D magic item converted to GURPS, I don't really think I can publish it anywhere. I may as well post it up here, I figured. Plus, the PCs know the full details of its use. It's not a terribly powerful item, but it's much more useful than it might seem at first glance. Having a free use of Minor Healing once per day per person that doesn't interfere with a "multiple castings" count makes this helpful. It's fun to watch players try to figure out what's the best way to use it - right away, wait until you need it maxed-out, use it before casting healing spells, use it after because you know it'll work, use it now because you don't have to worry about fatigue, use it later in case you do, etc.

6 comments:

  1. I have my players arguing about a rod of earth elemental command, that functions by forcing the elemental to only use will and not ST to resist being ordered around. The Earth priest thinks it is an abomination, the Treasure Hunting Sgent wants to sell it to the highest bidder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice item.

      I know that discussion - the players found this item, which is clearly extremely useful and almost invaluable in a party that depends on a single healer to get by, and someone asked, "What's its value?"

      You know, just in case. I said, "Ask a price, see what happens." It's an item I didn't bother to price because it's clearly too valuable to part with. Minor in breadth and scope, but exactly in the sweet spot of "too useful to part with."

      I'd put that rod in the same category.

      Delete
  2. Would this be a good spot for it?

    http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/dnd:magic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I never use that wiki. But feel free to link to this from anywhere!

      Delete
    2. Is it alright if I put it there? I help administer that wiki (it's Jurgen's).

      Delete
    3. Sure, I don't see a problem with that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...