Friday, February 17, 2017

Dungeons & Dragons themed lego set idea

Over on LEGO's Ideas page, there is a neat project for a D&D-themed set. Trademarks filed off, of course:



That's pretty neat, and as someone who uses LEGO knock-offs to make walls, has a player who has made the PCs in LEGO just for grins, and who loves minis on the table, this is something I'd like to see. The only downside I can see to this is that my experience with LEGO on the table is that the moment something isn't actually in active use, at least one player will disassemble it and make something new. Have 3-4 spare lengths of wall? Now you have a tower! Have that carefully built intersection to plunk down? Not any more, it's a boat! Players just can't keep their hands off of them.

I actually blundered into this thanks to news alerts on my news feed, via an article in Popular Mechanics which is best summed up by the opening sentence:

"As a veteran Dungeon Master, I can tell you there are a lot of things that help a Dungeons & Dragons campaign come to life, like a compelling story, some fantasy mood music, and yes, sometimes costumes. "

Gah, no! Come on, guy, it's not compelling story, mood music, and costumes - it's not a love scene in a period romance movie. You want your game to come to life? You need friends, some dice, and imagination. That's it. And you don't even need the dice that badly. Gah. I hate to criticize how other people have fun, but geez, please don't make me cringe at the description of the games I play. Sigh.

And you don't need minis, but I love minis, and LEGO counts.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Costume? I dress like this any time I can get away with it.

    And yeah, my plan if I ever run a game face to face is to use LEGO for the minis. I've been filling out my collection with as many gray bricks as I can...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...