Yesterday the latest Pyramid came out, featuring an article by me.
Let me just get this right out of the way - loadouts are time-consuming to write. I expected to knock this off in a day or two, writing in my "spare" time between blocks of work. It turned out to take much, much longer.
As an article, it's physically long for its total wordcount. That's thanks to tables, layout (lists, not paragraphs), and formatting. It's why this article is in this issue, and not the one before - it's not small even if the wordcount is rather so.
As a writer, it's a tough way to earn a dollar. There is a lot of text re-use. There is a lot of page flipping, formatting, math, double-checking to ensure the math works, and double-checking consistency with the existing material. That's after you've made decisions about what needs to go into a loadout, knowing full well many people will look at it and say, "This, but not that, or that, and this thing instead - this kit sucks!"
With that out of the way . . .
I wrote this one to deal with an issue I tend to have with buying gear:
- it takes up a chunk of time;
- people forget all sorts of useful gear because they haven't memorized the contents of the equipment lists;
- it takes time to add up the costs and weights;
- full-out loadouts are useful for initial loading out, but not for replenishment or piecemeal add-ons or upgrades.
I tried to account for all of these issues with kits. I'd seen such kits in the Rolemaster Companion and liked them then. So I wanted something like that for GURPS.
If I've done my job right, it should be easier to:
- grab-and-go kits for certain skills and needs;
- replenish ammunition (or stock up), complete with containers if necessary;
- stock up on food by the week or month;
- get an idea of what is an "upgrade" for a set of gear, and what is usually core.
Hopefully I've succeeded!
Although all of this is for the DFRPG, the contents should work just fine for the regular DF line, as well, although the page references are for Adventurers, not DF1: Adventurers.