Friday, April 2, 2021

Friday Roundup - 4/2/21

Busy week. Started my two writing projects, played some games, and did a lot of non-gaming things. So only a few things to highlight:

- Is this what will happen when the PCs find the legendary Felltower Bar Level?

- Some coins found in the U.S. might be from the Ganj-i-Sawai, an Indian imperial ship plundered by the pirate Henry Every. I really need to do a post on Yaquinto's Pirates & Plunder.

Ancient coins may solve mystery of murderous 1600s pirate

- I played a bit more X-Com: Apocalypse. The morale system is amusing, but sometimes units do really dumb things. Panic? Sure. Get hit by an attack that destroys your armor and equipment, so you run away and then run randomly back and forth or even charge the enemy? Oka-a-a-a-ay. No morale loss indicator, either, so they're not berserk, they're just doing some odd stuff.

Also, is there a way to use a medikit on a fallen ally? It doesn't seem like it. I had a badly wounded veteran soldier die a split second before a combat ended from a critical wound. There were two soldiers next to her with medikits and I couldn't seem to figure out how to use them on the unconscious soldier. They just stood around and watched her die, like the guy in that song by Johnny Cash. Sense of Duty? Guess not. Callous, more like.

It's getting fun, though. I must have cranked the difficulty, because UFOs are coming in packs of 4, with shields, concentrating fire on X-Com units, and dispersing alien infiltrators fast. I shoot a couple down, drive the others off, lose some craft, and then have to clean up the wrecks and then a mass of infiltrators. It's wearing down my troops and using up personal deflector shields and Toxigun ammo as fast or faster than I can make it. I'm enjoying it, except when wounded unarmed people charge into combat for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...