Thursday, June 22, 2017

Simple Bar Contests - Arm Wrestling

So, tavern level in my dungeon. I'll need some bar contests, and the ones in Basic Set feel like they don't have all the drama that I'd like for Dungeon Fantasy. Here is the first.

Arm Wrestling

Like it says.

Fast Version: Quick Contest of ST. Win, lose, or draw and re-roll.

Slow Version: Quick Contest of ST. Each point of victory is worth 10 degrees of arm bend - first person to lose a cumulative 10+ has lost the game. (Why not 9? Assume it takes an extra point to get the arm to initially bend. Plus 10+ is easier.)

I Hate ST Roll Version: If you don't like rolling against ST, simply roll thrust-based damage and compare. Assume both contestants are using All-Out Attack (Strong) and add +2 or +1 per die, whichever is higher. Extra Effort (Mighty Blows) can be used for its usual effect at 1 FP per second; make a HT roll whenever it is used or suffer the usual injury effects from Extra Effort. Whoever rolls more damage bends the arm of the opponent back by 10 degrees per point of damage more than the loser rolled - first person to lose by 10+ cumulatively loses the contest. Injury can occur thanks to HT rolls for extra effort!

(Editing Later: this would use your basic ST, modified by Wrestling, but not by Striking ST - this isn't a blow, it's a slow and steady push. Lifting ST does apply and you can use Trained ST if you use Technical Grappling.)

(Editing Even Later: Note that Mighty Blows is not normally compatible with All-Out Attack; however, this is for DF, and assumes you have the Mighty Blows perk which does allow this combination!)

For extra fun, stare down your opponent - add in The Contest of Wills (Martial Arts, p. 130) right on top of this!

11 comments:

  1. I like the I Hate ST rolls version. The gap should be narrow, and you should be able to willingly hurt yourself to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, you can use Extra Effort in a Quick Contest. I didn't point that out because it's a basic rule. My pointing out that you can use it in the I Hate ST Rolls version is because my players rejected using Extra Effort in Combat and Mighty Blows is an Extra Effort in Combat rule!

      Delete

  2. Like Thomas Pluck, I very much like the "I Hate ST Rolls" version.

    Stupid of me to suggest this, for a number of reasons, but to my mind five or six of these contests would make a great Pyramid article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably will, once I get to use them . . . and collect the others.

      Delete
  3. While I like the "Hate teh ST rolls" version... I'm not sure it would accurately reflect a contest between, say, Dryst and Mungo. While Mungo /will not lose/ (unless Dryst cheats), it also shouldn't take Mungo 10 seconds to slam Dryst's arm through the table.

    Thus I suggest some sort of "if your damage is a multiple of your opponent's, you get that many 10 degree ticks".

    Thus if Drsyt rolls 3 damage and Mungo rolls 30, Mungo wins instantly.

    Not sure if Mungo /could/ roll that sort of unarmed damage... but I have a DF character that can... so this is in my interest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worded it poorly - it is 10 degrees per point of net damage for the winner. I will fix it later.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the top! +1 damage for turning your helmet around backwards? At LEAST +1 to that Will roll!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...