Monday, October 20, 2014

Secret GURPS Project: Into the finishing first draft edits

This past weekend I finished my "specifics" editing on my draft. Pretty much, this means that all of the "this should be 7 points, not 6" or "You got this wording wrong" or "these aren't in alphabetic order" or "the page reference is to page 21-22, not just 21" kind of edits are done.

Now, I'm re-passing through the draft for the general errors - formatting errors, Rampant Capitalization, missing page refs, ensuring alphabetical order, etc.

So it's coming along nicely. Lots of very specific and extremely sharp comments by Sean Punch have helped immensely, and the draft that goes up for a larger review will be much better for it.

The general edits begin right now, so it's post this post and get back to the GURPS mines to chip out more quality formatting.

9 comments:

  1. Sweet! Does that mean this might be coming out before the end of the year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with that. I'm now working post-playtest revisions into the final with my latest. Those turn out to be fairly extensive. So, yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!

      I was too busy to help with that, and I came into the process late enough that I had too much to plow through to catch up. Next time!

      Delete
  3. How good are you at your point cost, modifier etc accuracy? From memory there are only supposed to be a few people who are over 80% correct on the draft. The rest of us are more like 50 to 60%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On point costs? I'm more than half right at least, probably a lot more than half right. I had some wrong in this draft, as always, but generally it's just from doing revisions and then missing an iteration of checking the math again. Mostly my problem is formatting the modifiers. And formatting in general. I can't "see" the different between hypens, em dashes, and en dashes. Side by side I can, but on their own, they look about the same to me, so I need to do a lot of revision to get them correct.

      Delete
    2. What do you use for the actual document and formatting? LaTex? Or some other industry standard document?

      Delete
    3. All GURPS projects are MS word compatible using GURPS templates

      Delete
    4. Yeah, alas. It would be so much better if we could use a sensible format. I've built some formatting aids (e.g. for a big table with numbered footnotes) which convert in and out of RTF with named styles, and that helps get things right.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...