Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Put it in his eye, I said, not his body

Occasionally I have a good idea and my players later find a way to exploit it in a way that doesn't gel with the intent of the rules.

So, one of my players pointed out that the perk "Put it in his eye!" from Pyramid 3/61 technically allows you to get a +1 for hitting the torso.

In other words, you could buy the perk, and if a monster hit you in the body, you could hit that monster back in the body for a +1.

That's not exactly what I meant. I agree the wording says that, but the intention was mostly to knock off -1 of penalty for hitting a specific hit location via giving the player a +1 to hit it. I wasn't thinking torso at all, and I don't think it is cost-balanced at 1 point for a +1 to hit back. It goes from "you hit my leg, I hit your leg!" to "I get a +1 to hit you back, and by the way my Trademark move is a swing to the body anyway."

Even with the stipulation that, despite what my players might think, the perk states you must be hit and fail to defend/not defend. It's not good enough to get struck at, or struck at but defend successfully, but to be actually hit and suffer the consequences of that (even if it's 0 damage thanks to DR.)

So I simply ruled, as the guy who wrote that, that for my game torso hits don't count. Sorry. It has to be a smaller sub-location or this odd form of vengeance-based might not work as I intended. In another campaign that might be fine, but it's not what I was thinking when I wrote it.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe Steven can be convinced to errata this:
    "you enjoy +1 on your next attack on that
    enemy if you target that location intentionally."
    to
    "you enjoy +1 on your next attack on that
    enemy if you target that location intentionally, but only to offset hit location penalties."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bring it up with him and Kromm.

      Mostly I don't want Vryce using this to scum +1s on his Trademark Move (Rapid Strike, Greatsword Swing to Body) from monsters who I have target Torso just out of laziness or to speed the game along. It's not really what it's for.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...