Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Ghosts of Saltmarsh

The latest D&D book announced is another throwback to 1st edition AD&D plus later additions:



It includes stuff pulled from - or perhaps all of -

U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

U2 Danger at Dunwater

U3 The Final Enemy

. . . all three of which I've run and enjoyed. I'm not certain I will pick this up, but it's tempting - those modules were great fun, and the 5e update book Tales of the Yawning Portal was excellent.

It adds some nautical rules for D&D5, which makes D&D5 a bit more attractive - I like pirates, I like being able to run ships in games.

I'll consider it, but I wanted to get up a post and get to looking at it. I'll probably break down and get it, I tend to do that with these beautiful D&D 5th edition books, especially ones that give me more of the 1st edition feel I like to play with.

6 comments:

  1. The U series is classic, but they are also pulling some from of the most popular DnD 3.* Dungeon adventures. The Styes, especially, was very influential in its day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with any of those, but I'm interested in finding out more about them if they're that good.

      Delete
    2. If you run them, will you review them? ;)

      Delete
    3. If I buy it and read it, probably. I'm not sure I'll get to run them. I've got less gaming time and more Felltower . . .

      Delete
  2. Bryce Lynch reviewed both The Styles and The Weavers. They did not fare well.

    https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=3463
    https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=3647

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found he's a contrary indicator for me many times. He's panned - badly - adventures that I ran successfully. Successfully, as in my players enjoyed the adventure and I did as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...