Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Book Update: Fun with Quotes

Over the past few days, I turned in the quotes for my latest DF book.

I won't say what they are, but I will say I do have quotes from:

Glen Cook - a standby for good quotes, as he paints huge canvases with few words.

Hugh Cook - his book Wizard War is one I've stolen a lot of inspiration from.

J.R.R. Tolkien (from his best work, too. Others might disagree, but they're not writing this book or blog.)

Alexei Pehov - it's tough quoting in translation, but I found a really good one that fit the page that needed it.

Michael Moorcock - he wrote of an anti-hero with a magic sword, in a world headed toward its own Ragnarok of sorts. That's an easy source of quotes. For this one, I knew what I wanted and had to track down the book more than the quote.

Gary Gygax - because it's Gary Gygax. I quote from his fiction, but the DUNGEONMASTERS GUIDE is always a good source of quotes. Especially ones that toss off game-changing concepts in a single parenthetical sentence.

I really should keep a file of pithy, fun quotes. But mostly I keep them in my head, and know where roughly to look for them. This can work well, like the quote I pulled out of a Glen Cook book for this one. The book was on my shelf.

It can work poorly, when I want quotes and realized I'd loaned out Moorcock's Stealer of Souls, most of my early Leiber books, all of the Alexei Pehov books, and more. I got a couple of those back in tine, and David Pulver rode in to the rescue with a quote from another book I was looking for. Steven Brust is usually a good source of quotes, as are Jack Vance and Roger Zelazny, but I had what I needed from the above.

I can't wait for this book to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...