Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Ultima IV: Won!

It took me a lot more turns that it probably should have, but the game is complete. I finally finished Ultima IV.

I was snowed in yesterday, and unfortunately snowed home again today. So I took advantage. It basically took me all day, a couple of levels at a time, to get through the 8-level Abyss. Luckily you can save in the Abyss, in the "regular dungeon corridor" sections. In the battlemap-like areas, you can't. Some fights and issues were very annoying - narrow angled passages that ended in 9 or 10 critters that can cast "Sleep" and did so over and over, keeping the party bottled up and extending combats that should be 2 minutes to more like 20-30, trick rooms with trigger spots + secret doors + other secret doors, totally bizarre wandering monsters (I got jumped by flying insects on level 8 of the Abyss, and orcs on level 6) that didn't fit with the otherwise thematically appropriate monsters . . .

But I completed it. Thank goodness for the Ultima IV Codex wiki, because I needed to know the "Word of Passage" and I couldn't find my paper notes this morning. I'm sure they'll turned up next time I'm cleaning. The other stuff was obvious to a long-time Ultima players. I managed to spell humility incorrectly at the end but I was given a second crack at the quiz of ultimate wisdom.

If I had Twitter, I'd report my deeds to Lord British as asked. Hopefully he'll stumble across my blog at some point and I'll get the recognition I deserve!



Thanks to Marcus Orealis for this:

7 comments:

  1. A bard has carried the tale unto the greater world!

    https://twitter.com/morealias/status/1357093399476785158

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, thank you very much, and with Ultima-like style, too.

      Delete
    2. And just in case the spammer-blocker ate Lord British's response:
      https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/1357204613338968066

      Delete
    3. Oh, bummer, the spam blocker did wipe it out - it's not even in my "spam" folder. I'll have to screenshot that one and add it my post above for posterity.

      Delete
  2. I remember playing that game and wanting to get back into it and finish it. I think I'll just live vicariously through your experience instead

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...