Sunday, February 6, 2022

Felltower Prep

So, I basically spent Saturday doing non-gaming stuff, until a big rush of a few hours trying to wrestle Dungeon Draw and Foundry to my will.

I like Dungeon Draw, but I can't get it to do anything but rectangles. The draugr crypts have angled walls which I couldn't get to line up. They'd move from where I was drawing them to . . . close by, either creating extra open hexes (bad, my players will want to use them and the hexes don't exist) or closing off actual hexes (less bad, in that I can allow people into them . . . I think.)

It was incredibly frustrating. I really need to find a way to draw maps and drop them in, and frankly I just suck at computer and hand art. Robert Conley helped me out here, and I'm going to try his solution . . . but I may need to make some drop-in tile walls and see how that goes.

This morning I'm trying to do some of the hallway to the draugr as stairs. If I can't, I'll just chop it off . . . again, to avoid issues with movement that shouldn't be unobstructed but appears to be.

7 comments:

  1. have you tried Dungeon Scrawl? there's a hex background option and you can turn off grid snapping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Dungeon Scrawl is very robust. And you can set the fidelity of the grid-snap to 1/9 if you like having it (and probably get very close to your freehand map) or as Joel mentions above, even off.

      I'm not sure it has all the "furniture" and doo-dads of some of the other dungeon mappers, but it's a very nice online dungeon mapping tool.

      Delete
    2. I'll play around with it today and see what I think. I'm not sure why Dungeon Draw is so flaky - I've watched video demos and it's very smooth . . . then I do it and it's snapping and dropping and moving all over the place. Or letting me draw polygons and then filling in nothing at all.

      Delete
  2. Have you considered releasing the Felltower stuff you've done as Dungeon Fantasy material (more than you have already, of course)? Like, dungeons, traps, monsters and so on you've created for this Felltower campaign?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has, see GURPS 4th Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 3 Artifacts of Felltower; GURPS 4th Dungeon Fantasy 22 Gates; GURPS 4th Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 3 Born of Myth & Magic (I'm pretty sure some of these monsters appeared first in Felltower).

      I want to say there was something else, it might have been a Pyramid article, I don't have those as readily at hand...

      Delete
    2. What evileeyore said - I've published a fair bit of the stuff. I have more, but I need to see what SJG wants to publish going forward. Another volume of monsters centered on Felltower variants would be cool. I have the material, just not the art.

      Delete
  3. I downloaded Dungeon Draw and tried it. I had to upgrade my Foundry to V9 but once I activated it had a polygon tool that kind of did the job. But the whole thing is a bit finicky.

    Don't get me wrong kudos to the author. However it needs to work on it snapping especially for hex grids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...