Tuesday, February 15, 2022

GCA 4 to GCA 5 switchover plans

GCA5 officially came out. I've beta-tested it for a while, although I've been pretty unhelpful on the beta list (Sorry Armin.) I was beta-testing GCA well back before version 4, too. I'm not even sure how far back . . . the 90s, maybe? You'd have to ask Armin, I don't have access to my emails pre-2005 anymore.

GCA 4 is great, but old. It is really showing its age. I'm ready to switch over to GCA 5.

The tough bit for me with GCA5 is that we're using a mishmash of rules, so I have:

- a mix of proper GCA files

- a few hand-made modified files

- several files that are technically incompatible

. . . all on the master copies of live characters.

A couple of my players keep their own characters on GCS, instead, which is fine . . . but my GCA copies of the PCs are the official ones.

My current plan is:

1) Read the manual. I'm going through it from the start so I don't miss anything.

2) Make some new characters. Not Felltower PCs, but some plain Basic Set and the DF characters to get used to the system.

3) Test-port a few characters over by hand - re-create them or open the file and see what happens.

We'll see how that goes, but it feels like a solid plan. GCA 5's layout is just different enough that it throws me off, so treating it as new software is probably the way to go. And I'm a few versions out of date on the beta version, so it's best for me to just start fresh.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it does for my campaign management.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...