Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Solo vs. Solo?

Is there a good term to differentiate between these two modes of play? I've heard both of them described as "solo adventuring."

One Player Only, One Character Only - like it says. One guy with one paper man. No assistance from player-run PCs.

vs.

One Player Only, Multiple Characters - I'd throw one PC, many assistant NPCs in here - a fighter with his warband, a mage with apprentices, a hot-shot fighter pilot with his wingman, etc.

Back in the day, we only used "solo" for the first one. If you brought NPCs with you, it was just "one player" but not "solo." Sometimes I feel like I need a term that makes it clear which one is which.

8 comments:

  1. To my knowledge, there's never been a real distinction between the two. Some systems don't really work well with a single character, D&D for instance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D&D thieves worked well solo. That's how my cousin used to play, with me as the GM.

      Delete
  2. Just to chime in here - this seems to me a good point. It also strikes me that "solo" needs even *more* disambiguation here, since in the circles I run in it's very often (I think mostly?) used to refer to single-player *GM-less* play.

    Thus so far we have at least *three* different meanings for "solo" in an RPG context:

    1) Solo = one player, no GM.
    2) Solo = GM, one player, one character
    3) Solo = GM, one player, multiple characters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was only interested in breaking up #2 and #3, but you are correct, there is another way. Actually, two - #1 could be one player, one PC, no GM or one player, many PCs, no GM.

      Delete
  3. But what if you are playing a Star Wars solo game as Han Solo? It won't work you need Chewbacca, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very reasonable point. The real trouble begins when you're playing a GM-less, single-player, single-character Star Wars game as Han. According to the handy guide we've constructed, I believe you'd then be playing solo solo solo solo.

      (sorry)

      Delete
  4. Like the Conan Beyond the Thunder River solo adventure: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/ConanBeyondThunderRiver/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This manages option 3 wonderfully
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/kabuki-kaiser/ruins-of-the-undercity/paperback/product-20616196.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...