Saturday, January 26, 2019

I hate page flipping through Dungeon of the Mad Mage

I'm still steadily reading my way through Dungeon of the Mad Archmage Mage, and I'm really enjoying it. It has a very old-school feel, and a very Forgotten Realms feel as well - at least how it felt in 1st edition FR products.

It does have two traits that really annoy me, though.

Page Flippling

The maps are not in a separate booklet. I'll have to see if they are available as such online, somehow. So I keep reading, flipping, reading, flipping.

Not only that, but:

No Monster Stats

Monsters are given names and it's up to you to go read their stats in the Monster Manual. I don't really have those remotely mastered yet, so I keep having to go flip and look. Even a few stats plus a page reference would be huge.


The dungeon itself is very cool, and incorporates many things I thought to include in Felltower and things I wish I had - and ones I can add later. It's very good. It's just I feel like it's going to be hard to use if I don't basically make a per-level cheat sheet of monster stats and copy all of the maps. Annoying. Worth it, but annoying.

6 comments:

  1. There is only what, thirteen maps? Just photocopy them, trim the page and then tuck them back into the book.

    Or if you can pick up a pdf copy, rip those images out, make master map page (or three) and print those out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... looks like it was originally an online serial release, if it was unchanged when published this might help:

      http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?292062-Castle-of-the-Mad-Archmage-Poster-Maps

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I meant this:

      http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/waterdeep-dungeon-mad-mage

      Not that.

      Delete
    3. Then my first comments are the best option, photocopy or pik up a pdf. Sadly I think WoTC prices their pdfs at the high end.

      Delete
  2. There's a separate map and illustration book on DriveThruRPG, both available in print and PDF. The map book's a bit annoying in PDF, though, since the maps are split across two pages.

    Also, do note that the original online release didn't include the first floor or castle ruins since it assumed that you'd use Castle Zagyg for those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He means the latest 5e hardback, which is essentially Undermountain

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...