Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Random Links for 1/16

Wednesday is turning into Random Links Dump Day, since I tend to get done with work late. So here are three more:

- I liked the thesis of this article:

The Basis of the Game is Making Decisions

I won't agree with everything he says, and I have no idea about anything on Critical Role (or much about it at all), but I agree with the thesis. The game is about making decisions. I think it's better to present a game about how it's played - and what you do - first of all. "This is a game of building giant space empires and negotiating with alien races!" might sound awesome, but if what you do is "draw a card, read it, and roll a die and see what happens" it's a game of drawing cards and rolling dice. RPGs are about decisions. And if you play point-based like I do, you're making them right from the start and those decisions influence other ones. The monsters providing an interesting basis for those decisions.

- This game review makes the game sound tempting. Maybe when I have more free time.

- I'm sad I missed out on this boxed set of minis, based solely on the words "Lords of Decay" and "Julie Guthrie."

4 comments:

  1. a game about asking questions, gathering evidence, and making decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link!

    I'm not a huge Critical Role fan either (I can't stand watching it, in fact), but it's a huge draw for new players right now, and the associated "Matt Mercer Effect" keeps on coming up in discussions about their introduction to the hobby, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. What is billed as an obvious, basic post is actually is very useful for me to use to describe RPGs to non-RPG players in an easy and effective way. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  3. I play Battle Brothers myself. Good game. Very GURPSy, actually.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...