Saturday, March 27, 2021

Writing Update

I can't dicuss the details, but I did end up agreeing to two writing projects in the past week.

- One, the outline is submitted and waiting for approval.

- Another, the general concept is approved and we (I have a co-author) are waiting for some materials before we submit the outline.

They're due relatively soon - one in a month or so, another in two months or so. Quick stuff.

Neither are royalties, which makes me sad. I like royalties. I like my work now turning into a continuous stream of money over the months and years. I still get paid for GURPS Martial Arts and for DF12, my first two books, all these years later. Without being able to turn work now into income later, it's tougher to justify the time away from my main sources of income. Still, I like writing and I dislike saying "No" when someone specifically requests a thing from me that I'm well suited for.

Time to write!

16 comments:

  1. Right? I mean, it's less up front on the royalty basis, but I *like* the long tail and knowing that every additional sale is a extra n% in my pocket. Mind you, I'm writing shorter stuff anyway these days, so flat fees are fine, but still.

    Must come up with an idea for something longer that they're willing to pay royalties on, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should each come up with an idea, and then combine them, like chocolate and peanut butter!

      Delete
    2. I look forward to working on GURPS LATE MEDIEVAL TAJIK BOOKBINDING 1: PUNCHING PEOPLE WITH FLAMING FISTS.

      Delete
    3. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Locations: Orc Ninja Dungeons of Venice

      Delete
    4. Ah, well, Venice is built at sea level and is literally on the water, so, much like New Orleans and its environs, cellars and basements aren't really an option. Orc ninja *attics*, on the other hand...

      Delete
    5. Duh, ninjas use their ninja-to saya as snorkels (DF12, p. 15.)

      And it's also why no one has found the orc ninja dungeons of Venice, yet.

      Delete
    6. Underwater delving is firmly 'do not want' most of the time

      Delete
    7. Look, both of you. You'll fight your underwater snorkeling orc ninjas in a dungeon and like it.

      Delete
    8. The big reveal: http://tetsujinnollama.blogspot.com/2021/03/next-project-lies.html

      Delete
    9. Slap page counts on that, and it's an outline.

      Delete
  2. Not to be a wet blanket, but being underwater kinda puts a damp-er on the whole dungeoneering experience.

    I can sea how it's tide into the theme though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I sea what you're talking about. You don't want to leave an adventuring party with their heads swimming thinking "Water we going to do?" It's a cool concept, sure, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this new-wave style of gaming to flood the industry.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you guys didn't get cod up floundering around fishing for water-based puns.

      Delete
  3. Hey, now I want to know which books are royalty-generating books, because I really like the idea of paying content creators!
    GURPS Martial Arts and Dungeon Fantasy 12 it is, then! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I appreciate that! I also get them from Martial Arts: Gladiators, DF15, DFM1, DFM3, DFD Barbarians, and DFT3 Artifacts of Felltower. And Low-Tech Companion 2, as well!

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, these books were DF22 and Crypts of Krysuvik.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...