Sunday, May 14, 2023

Planescape: Torment

I played a bit more of Planescape: Torment (Enhanced Edition) today.

I'm flying through it. I've played it several times before - twice completely, as I recall. The first time, Neutral. The second time, Lawful Good. This time, I'm shooting for Chaotic Evil.

It's a fun game. Death isn't a big deal. It's a weird conceit of the game, that you're an immortal who forgets much when he dies. Or at least sometimes. If you die during the game, you just wake up better, in a mortuary (The Mortuary, HQ of the Dustmen faction.) It clearly takes something other than getting knifed by a thug or having talked back to a wandering devil (er, fiend? It's 2nd edition AD&D) to lose your memory. So you can use death as a tool in the game. I do, so I play aggressively and fearlessly.

I'm like level 6 now, as a fighter - you can dual-class to a thief or mage, and have to pick one to play as in true AD&D fashion. I've put everything I've gained in attributes to Wisdom, because it gives an XP bonus. No reason not to get to Wisdom 25 (!) by level 10, and then I'll fill in STR and CON after that for those end-game battles.

I've forgotten some of the game details - weird characters to talk to, mostly - but I remember most of it. I know the endgame well, and the story well, so this should be pretty quick to play through. It's handy to have something to play though that doesn't take too much thought but is a lot of fun. The Planescape setting is really cool, only marred for me with all of the lingo embedded in the setting books.

It's not the most fun game to be evil in, though - most of the time, it's just being mean and lying when truth might serve better. But what the heck, no reason to play the game the way I played it before. Maybe I don't end up in the _____ ___ like I did with G and N, right? Eh, I probably do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...