Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Wilderness Around Felltower - Part I

I'm back from vacation. While I had some spare moments on my trip I did a little bit of mapping of "the world" around my megadungeon.

Not that much, though. Keeping consistent with off-the-cuff descriptions, stuff I've got in my head, and what specifics I've told the players is tough.

For example, the mountain that contains the upper levels of Felltower is north of the Silver River and Stericksburg. It's at the end of a V of mountains, so it has sort of a "lone peak" feel from the south but it's just an inaccurate impression.

The larger world is pretty vague, too. I know the city of Cashamash is to the southeast, near the desert of Morthand. The city of Molotov is off to the east, near the Troll Marshes. The city of Arras is off to the west, near-ish to Falcon's Keep and the Caves of Chaos. There are barbarians to the northwest, including Honus's tribe but also some rivals. I know orcs marching overland could reach Felltower on the surface, and I need to back-calculate the distance that implies.

Making that kind of mess into a hex map is going to be tough. Even making it into a player-facing map is going to be tough.

All I ended up with so far is a rough outline map of what's where with few details on it at all.

Next up, I need a more detailed area map. I may have to try Fractal Mapper again, just because I don't have the patience to draw it all by hand at the moment.

I'll see if I can't scan what I doodled up and show the process - once I've gotten a little further along in the process.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'll check it out.

      I'm torn between a hexcrawl and just a sketch map and winging it ala DF16's rules for doing so.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...