Friday, March 31, 2017

Cardboard Heroes of my monsters!

Check out this update to the Dungeon Fantasy Role-Playing Game Kickstarter yesterday:



That guy on the left appears to be a rock mite. I originally made up the rock mites for Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 for use in my own games. Now, there is an official Cardboard Hero for them, illustrated by Denis Loubet.

How cool is that?

I know you guys who make your own books and hire your own artists have a similar feeling. But it's really something else to go from "I need some kind of rock monster to annoy my players" to "and a game company is making playing pieces with that monster on it" with just some writing in between there. I didn't pull out my wallet and make this happen, and I really didn't let it sink in that:

- I wrote monsters for my own games and then got them published for GURPS DF;

- those monsters made the boxed set;

- the boxed set would include Cardboard Heroes;

- therefore monsters I wrote for my own games would have Cardboard Heroes.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you admit that your mission statement is to annoy your players ;)
    congrats on getting your inventions into the big time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rat looks disturbing. Not in a 'wow that's scary' way rather a 'why would you draw a rat that way?'

    I hope it's some sort of wererat and not the generic giant rat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely an update of the Cardboard Heroes wererat!

      Delete
    2. Seems an odd choice to include in DFRPG. 'gotta have my were rat!'

      Unless this is an intentional/unintentional tip off about the rat in the DFRPG adventure.

      Delete
    3. My guess personally is that it's related to the sample adventure being named "I Smell A Rat" and being a variant of the "rats in the tavern basement" quest.

      Delete
    4. That may or may not be true, but like I said, it's an update of the Cardboard Heroes wereat, specifically #7-34.

      Delete
  3. I hope SJ Games does a license with Arcknight's Flat Plastic Miniatures. Deadlands and other systems' miniatures are already available.

    I'm not a huge fan of cardboard heroes art, but I'd pick up plastic versions for better quality. Would also help DFRPG get out to a wider audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!

    It is a cool feeling. I had a couple of mine get published and made into pawns ("pawned"?) with another KS.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...