Friday, December 30, 2022

Friday's Links 12/30/22

Early post today, because a power outage took out my workplace and cut my day unfortunately short.

- I'm almost done with How to Defend Your Lair. I'll get a full review up - I think it's well worth it.

- I finished reading Slaying the Dragon. Not worth a full review. It's a readable, general audience overview of TSR from inception to the Wizards of the Coast takeover. It's not bad, but it's light on the deep details I'm interested in. Also, this may be accurate, but Peter Adkinson comes off pretty much like a Deus Ex Machina, swooping in and fixing everything with money and by being the best guy possible to everyone. I had no idea . . . but it felt a bit overly lauditory.

- I managed to finish my mapping and most of my monster input for our next Felltower session. Not all of it, but most of it. Enough to play through. Next game is 1/8.

- I have to take some time today and write my annual report of the blog and gaming. I'm looking forward to seeing how much we played this year.

- Here is a fun Labyrinth Lord character generator.

- This is grim game inspiration, but I watched The American Experience: The Battle of Chosin. Short version - US and Korean troops attacked by the Chinese in the dead of winter and have to fight their way out. Longer version - it starts out about battle, but mostly is about slogging through horrific cold during a retreat (for the US) and during an attack (the Chinese, while inadequately equipped for said cold.) It's game inspiration in that it is a good look at what terrible weather is like. If your game features bad weather and bad conditions but the weather and conditions are just a minor descriptive filip, I think you're potentially missing out. Of course, in a fantasy game, PCs will just cast Resist Cold and undo a lot, but at least make the conditions part of the adventure or I'd say just skip them in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Keith Amman’s first two books, and didn’t realize he had two more. I may need to pick those up. Even though a lot of it is centered around D&D, there are some universal concepts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...