I think I've settled on on a few options for my DF game's side mission.
I won't say what until I have settled on it, and got the game going.
What they have going for them:
- they are micro-sandboxes. My game overall is a limited sandbox. But I need a small play area, not a single adventure.
- they're a combo wilderness area (to a small extent) and a dungeon area.
- they're potentially lethal. It's DF and I expect lethality. I learned from my experience with B2 that the dungeons need to be tougher for starting guys.
- they're expandable, if necessary. I can add more to the area.
- they're all potentially "assigned missions." Much as Inquisitor Marco was sent to find the evil temple in the Caves of Chaos and smite it most fiercely, all of the options can be explained by the priests of the Good God telling the PCs to go and smite something. That makes the setup easy, but also gives a focus besides look to keep the PCs from wandering too far afield.
- they have some thematic connection to Felltower, even if only "raid out from a base." Something like X1 is very cool, but depends more on ending sessions in mid-play and won't work as well for the way we have sessions structured.
All of those are things I'd like to have.
Basically, I'm looking at one of a badlands, a cold and nasty swamp, and a mountainous area studded with trouble. All of them I have some faith in the entertainment value of what I have but also a way to tie them in with Felltower. None of them are O1-3 Against the Orcs, though, although I could see how that would be entertaining. I'd rather not precede "go back to Felltower and settle up with the orcs" with what boils down to "ORC1-7 Against the Orcs."
And yes, once it gets going I'll review what I chose, and what I looked at hard but discarded.