Friday, October 13, 2017

Age of Ravens & Rolemaster

This post made me very happy:

Retrocember Rolemaster: Bringing Law to the Ursine Dunes

This is awesome. Especially this:

"ARMING YOURSELF
One of the largest challenges to running Rolemaster comes from the combat charts. Weapons have individual charts. A successful roll usually moves players over to an additional critical table (Slash, Crush, Pierce, Heat, Shock, etc). That’s the cornerstone of the system and why it’s dismissively referred to as Chartmaster.

But that’s also the secret sauce.

Those charts are great, wild, and fun.


Yes, yes, and yes.

And yes.

I totally agree, and I've said that very same thing before.

Fans of Rolemaster might complain about system holes, weirdly distributed secondary skills, Initiative, the disconnect of class/levels/skill points/stat-based point allotments meshing, etc. but play because the crits and weapon effect charts are awesome.

I'm very excited to see how this goes. I love Rolemaster even though I don't play it anymore. I hope game summaries (complete with crit descriptions) follow that post!

4 comments:

  1. I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? Arduin. There are loads of great charts in Arduin. And sharks with helium bladders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Arduin's weirdness. But it's Rolemasters combat results that really make me happy, not the rolling on charts parts.

      Delete
    2. I was referring to the hella-lethal crit tables, actually.

      http://jrients.blogspot.com/2007/08/great-random-charts-from-rpg-history.html

      Delete
    3. I didn't really know much about them. I do really need to check out Arduin more.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...