Friday, June 26, 2020

Friday Links Post for 6/26

Random links for Friday!

- Ever wonder how a pressure plate works? Courtney might be able to help out. On the Thursday Trick, Triggers Pressure Plate. That's helpful to me, because I can design nasty traps but I don't really know enough to describe how they work. I might just be pulling stuff out of my imagination. Warning: Does not apply to combat footwork or grappling.

- After the Ogre talks about Allies vs. Hirelings. I like the limit on Allies. We've never had someone ask for a second Ally, but I think that's a good guideline.

- Hans wrote a nice article on the G11.

- Totally non-game related, but gamer related. Apparently there was a brief thing about picking a fight with someone 31 years older than you. Do you know who is 31 years older than my gaming buddy since high school, Tom? Chuck Norris. I don't like his odds. I'd tell Tom to take it to the ground, as Chuck is a Tang Soo Do expert . . . and Tom has both Ground Fighting (Wrestling) and the Ground Guard perk. But Chuck Norris is a black belt in BJJ originally from Jean Jacques Machado, so I'm not sure that's any better of an idea.

- This post reminds me of the book Queen Victoria's Little Wars. There are just so many small but interesting conflicts - either visually or tactically interesting or both - in this time period. The book is a good starting point for the whole series of wars that Edmund Blackadder mentioned involved saving people from particularly sharp slices of mango.

- I find treasure-rolling systems fascinating. I personally use a value-based system, so I get a total and back-fill what makes up that value. But still, I like them in general - AD&D for sure, Rolemaster had a great one that inspired me a lot, and everyone in the world liked rolling on the found objects table in Gamma World. One system I played around with and didn't like was 5e. I think this post explains why.

- I haven't played around with it, yet, but there is a GCA file for DFRPG. Since my campaign is more of a hybrid, I need to see if just adding that file on is a good idea. I suspect not. I might need to rebuild my data set around it, and add in my own changes (and imports from Basic Set and Magic, plus Wizardry Redefined) into their own file. I'd overlooked this file a while back, but a recent post on the thread alerted me. I don't hang around the forums anymore, but I do like to get pinged when GCA posts are up.

- This one is Felltower related - one of my players asked about fencing masks. We're not using them. Just getting that out there. I may have a whole post on why, at some point, but for now, no fencing masks from Denizens: Swashbucklers.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, Peter. Considering that I got the concept from DF15, I assumed the idea was yours or Sean's :-)
    A limit is definitely necessary, for the reasons that you and Sean indicated. As it is one of my players has complained about 2 allies being too many for the whole group, let alone a single PC. He also doesn't usually want hirelings either. Perhaps I should blog about that...
    In any event, I think that hench-persons (in moderation, as with all things) add more than they subtract from the game. DF15 has certainly seen a lot of use in my home game, so thank you and Sean for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all I know, I wrote it and just completely forgot about it.

      I'm so glad that DF15 has had such legs.

      Delete
  2. LOL! I just got to the slice of mango reference :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post on 5e treasure-rolling makes a good criticism. DF8 is thankfully more nuanced than that. Regarding back-filling from a value, I essentially did that when converting the KotB treasure to DF; for much of the treasure I converted 1 D&D gp to 10 DF cp ($10) and worked out the composition from there. For example a 150gp ring with gem, might become a $1000 gold (alloy) ring set with a $500 gem. I would then use DF8 to help me decide what type of gem would fit that value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very much how I use DF8, too. Not to generate loot, but to figure out what something could be - and make it interesting!

      Delete
  4. The pressure plate's post is really nice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck Norris doesn't jump. The Earth bows with respect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...