Wednesday, June 10, 2020

War in the East - Ooops

So I finished turn 2 of WitE, and then wrapped up Turn 3.

And I found a big issue.

"Ve have broken railroads all over zee place!"

And headquarters all over zee place.

Except . . . not right behind the front.

In my haste to get through my next turn, I forgot to do an important wrap-up to my turn - positioning my HQs and rail-repair units to, you know, support my advance.

It's not like I forgot to move them, or forgot a unit here or there. Nope.

I started my next turn and moved units around in the north, then center, then got to the south and found units out of gas, low on ammo, out of easy command, broken rails . . . I'd totally forgotten to go back and finish arranging the rear of my front.

Gah.

Basically, I lost a whole turn's worth of movement, and would need to expend precious resources to make up for it. And time, which I can't get back.

In the end I just went back to my save game and re-did the turn. It was painful, to say the last, and long. I'd swallow a few units forgotten here or there, or a rushed-too-far tank unit running out of gas. But basically crippling Army Group South because I totally forgot about a section of it? That's a bitter pill to swallow. So I went back and I'm re-doing the turn. There goes about 2 1/2 hours of play because I wasn't thorough.

I created a little checklist for myself, since the game lacks a "cycle through units with MPs left" command that I can find. I'm trying to see if I can use the in-game drawing tool to loop around units I need to go back and do housekeeping on - move up HQs, assign to different HQs, put into Refit or Reserve mode, un-assign support units no longer directly needed, etc.

A painful lesson but at least it's not as painful as the first few games when I ran my panzers empty and watched them sit there for 2-3 turns as victory slipped away. There is a steep, steep learning curve on this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...