Wednesday, June 24, 2020

SJG PDF Challenge & Me

By now you've probably read these posts on the upcoming GURPS Kickstarter:

Big News from SJG

This Deal Is Getting Worse All The Time

June 23, 2020: Coming Next Month: Steve Jackson Games' GURPS 2020 PDF Challenge

The short version is this:

It'll start with one PDF. $3 gets you that PDF and any stretch PDFs (eventually, 12 PDFs, each 10 pages.)

You can pledge at these levels:

$3 - You get all unlocked PDFs.
$30 - You get all unlocked PDFs and $30 in credit to spend in BackerKit on existing GURPS PDFs.
$99 - You get all unlocked PDFs and $125 in credit to spend in BackerKit on existing GURPS PDFs.


Basically, if everything unlocks, you get 12 PDFs for $3 and $27 in extra stuff for the second tier. For the third tier, you get 12 PDFs for $3 and $122 worth of other stuff, for $99. So that puts a roughly 19% discount on anything you buy in Backerkit.

So, what to do? I'll be in for $3, at least, and I'll think about getting in for $30. It's going to be hard to find $125 worth of stuff I need in Backerkit, even if it's also print products. I own most GURPS books already. There are a few I need to pick up, but I don't think they'll reach $125. I'll have to see when they launch the Kickstarter what I need of what they offer.

Overall, it's a very good deal if it fully funds. I'll be in on this to help make sure my book does.

5 comments:

  1. Am I reading it incorrectly? I see it saying that, assuming everything unlocks, at the 2nd tier you get all 12 PDFs plus a full $30 in other stuff (basically making the 12 PDFs free), while at the 3rd tier you'd get the 12 PDFs plus $125 in other stuff (which would be 12 free PDFs plus an additional bonus $26 in credit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I read it, but I'm assuming the "free" PDFs count as $3 worth of stuff since they're $3 on their own.

      Delete
    2. Except it says "PDFs and $30 in credit". If they meant "PDFs and $27 worth" it would say that.

      Pretty sure they mean "PDFS //and// $30 in other stuff". They're using the long tail products (which have paid for themselves already) to help generate the funding for this KS.

      Delete
    3. If it makes it clearer how I'm viewing it, the second tier gets you $30 worth of stuff at 10% off, accounting for the $27 worth I mention above. You get an effective ~18% off on the third tier. So how much extra stuff do you need? You can base your decision on that; I will.

      Delete
    4. It's a really interesting - and likely effective - strategy. The KS is PDF-only, which means the marginal cost of distribution is zero, and ALL revenue is fungible. I've got a pair of products in the Nordlond line that I might try something similar with. Phil's current project hit 1,000 backers (granted, he's got a great base for it) in a few days.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...