Friday, April 11, 2014

Basic Fantasy or GURPS Lite: He chose . . .

My student chose GURPS.

It might have been because I said I could teach him Basic Fantasy, but I could run GURPS from memory. Still, he looked at my GURPS books, my Moldvay Basic Set book, and Basic Fantasy, and had looked at Swords & Wizardry at home . . . and chose GURPS. Can't fault him for that.

I made him a 140-point guy, who I may post at some point. I ran him through an intro scene to Caravan to Ein Arris. He found the tavern where they were doing the 3-touch fights to select guards, talked to the recruiter, and then went and won the fight - barely, but he did it. Nothing fancy - straight-up rolls and no one rolled a critical. He got recruited and now has to find the caravan overseer.

It was fun, and we'll keep it up as the finisher English practice game if he enjoys it.

I figure if he gets really into it and/or wants to run it for friends, I can hand him Caravan, help him with chargen, and run other a different adventure. That's also why I chose Caravan - I know it back-to-front, and I don't mind starting him on it and then handing it off.

His homework was an essay and to read GURPS Lite (after doing his real homework, of course.)

Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...