Friday, April 18, 2014

Why Templates in DF?

This is pretty much why I enforce the templates in my current GURPS Dungeon Fantasy game:

Every PC Is Expendable, or, Why We Template

I wouldn't say it word-for-word the same way, but the sentiment is the same. Even the reason I don't bother with variant clerics is the same - too much detail, too much "find the god who gives you the cool spell combos" and not enough Good vs. Evil. You get guys who are good at their specific niche, don't stomp all over the utility of other player's characters, and who narrow down the options enough to give you real freedom of choices while preserving the GM's ability to focus the challenge.

My next game may be template-free, but this one isn't for those reasons.

5 comments:

  1. Am I the only one that can't click on that link? I love that every PC is expendable, by the way. DF is a great... setting? Concept? Whatever you call it, I love the nature of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to say, this made my day. I started my DF game as a direct consequence of reading this very blog, so I'm doubly pleased. Thanks for the attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad my posting is inspiring other people's posting.

      You really stated the value of templates well - better than I have when I've tried. It's really a nice thing to have a new guy think about joining my game, and knowing it's not a big deal. He says "I'm thinking of an Assassin" and I know exactly what his options are, what he'll be good at, where it can and can't go, etc. No "What kind of assassin are you thinking of?" I know the answer, I've provided enough of a picklist to know it's within the bounds of what we need for DF.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...