Saturday, August 20, 2022

Random Links for 8/20/2022

I was away from the blog (okay, just really busy) for a few days. So let's get to what I read this week that interested me.

- Grappling in 6e.

So, two things:

"D&D One" is on the way, apparantly - here is a link to the playtest packet.

Also, the rules sound interesting, although I'm not sure why you're not at disadvantage to attack a person grappling you, too. Having been grappled, as recently as yesterday, I'll say that it's hard to attack someone who is grappling you . . . more than attacking someone who is not grappling you. But I may be misreading. I haven't played this out. I have opinions but I'm not a D&D player in general, so I won't stick my nose in, in all likelihood.

- Rob took a deeper look at D&D One than I did.

- More weapon skills combinations for DF.

- The Book of Weird. Always read what Matt Riggsby writes.

- This is awesome. Dave's not here, man.

- It doesn't sound like evidence supports the idea of Mongols using silk shirts against arrows. Oh well.

- I do kind of eyeroll internally at Sparta-themed clothing and gear and comparisons that people use to imply toughness. As Vlad says:

"Most people seem to take pleasure in feeling superior to someone. I'm not like that, which pleases me because it makes me feel superior." - Vlad Taltos, in "Jhegaala"


Here is a re-look at a look at Sparta that can explain why.

- Even more electromagnetic firearms - a for-sale coilgun. The host of that Youtube channel has an impressive knowledge of firearms. I've learned a lot (and burned a fair bit of time) watching his videos.

Enjoy these for now!

1 comment:

  1. I read Rob's comments on One D&D and it strikes me that WotC is showing all the signs of turning D&D into a subscription model instead of an ownership model. They are following all the steps Microsoft took in trying to push Windows out of the unique versions of Windows into a continual upgrade path where they control what you see and do. The elimination of named or numbered editions and insistence or referencing by date is the first step. Replacing the name/number of the proposed version to be One (as in Xbox One) suggesting that there will never be another edition (as in Windows 10...gee that worked) and you will just get updates pushed to you involuntarily so they can ensure you are using what everyone else is, what they want everyone to use. I think this won't work, and maybe that's not what they are doing, but I get strong remembrances of Microsoft going this way with the One/365/etc approach and it's already turned me off (no loss to them since I played 5E and didn't like it and won't buy anything for it).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...