Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day Link Post - Mostly Wargames

Some random links to enjoy on Memorial Day!

- Ditch the Stash - dropping stuff in DF. Generally, I agree - dropping stuff is not always a free action. Actually, most free actions shouldn't be.

Now, onto the wargaming!

- A Bridge Too Far. This guy is playing Holland '44 - Operation Market Garden. Oh man, that looks fun. There was a double-blind game on Market-Garden back in the day - does anyone remember it? And not for nothing, but I've seen A Bridge Too Far about twenty times end to end. Maybe more. I love that movie. Shame about the entirely non-German looking tanks; pretty much only Kelly's Heroes made a really proper effort at that before, say, Fury.

- Speaking of solo wargaming, here is one of Overlord.

- I'm playing my own game, too - War in the East. I'm trying Operation Uranus as the Soviets. All I need to do is slam the door shut on General Paulus's 6th Army in Stalingrad by blowing apart some Rumanian, Italian, and scattered German forces. How am I doing? Uh, let's say I got too aggressive too early but I have hopes of putting the Germans into their own damn kesselschlact yet.

Picture of Oops:

(most of the map - it's too big at maximum zoom-out to fit on one screen.)

It doesn't look bad, I'll admit, but it's a picture of getting a bit too excited and rushing my exploitation before the breakthrough phase was really completed. I blame reading Cition's "Death of the Wehrmacht" while reading this.

At least I feel like the Italians (in yellow) and Rumanians (in light blue) just don't have the ability to really stop my armored units; the Wehrmacht is still man-for-man the superior of the Soviets and will remain so until, say, 1945. Hopefully I can shake free some forces to finish my breakthrough.

1 comment:

  1. SumatraPDF! Glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates this excellent lightweight PDF reader.
    The only reason I use Adobe Reader is when filling forms (updating character sheets) which is the only thing missing from SumatraPDF that I otherwise need.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...