Thursday, May 21, 2020

Games I'd Like to Run 2020 edition

I've posted before about games I'd like to run, and games I'd like to play.

Here is a new list of games I'd like to run. I doubt I'll ever get to do most of these, but it would be awesome to do so.


1) Star Frontiers. I'd like to run a canonical, non-modified, no-supernatural powers or extra races SF game. The system is good enough, although these days I'd probably consider GURPS. My dream campaign would be to run some city-based ferret-out-the-Sather-spies game that leads to some of the published adventures - not necessarily the Volturnus modules, but probably Sundown on Starmist. I'd love to see it go through the 2nd Sathar War (SWII) with the players running the UPF, followed up with the post-SWII modules involving Sathar space. I just think it would be such a fun game to play out. My gamers would need more time and include better wargamers, though, or I expect SWII might end as it did last time I played it out solo - not well for the UPF.

2) AD&D. I'll run AD&D again. D&D5 would be fun but more complex, AD&D even more in both directions (easier for me to run, even more complex to deal with), but yeah, part of me would love to run a full game. It's so damn clunky, though, and more fun to visit than to live in. But there is this strong pull to go live there on a weekly basis . . .

3) Dungeon Fantasy Gamma World. I think this made the earlier list. I still think I need to do this - dump DF characters into my version of Gamma World. The PCs in my DF game are convinced despite evidence otherwise that they visited The Warden. Why not really do it? GURPS is the perfect engine for it.

4) Gangbusters. This is something I could run as written, no problem. But GURPS also has the Adventure Guns series. I'd probably try to mashup the earnings and money from Gangbusters with GURPS and run it that way. I still remember the combat system well - Basic Combat has a Thompson burst do 20 wounds. Trivia I remember.

That's what I'd like to run. 3/4 of them are GURPS or could be.

11 comments:

  1. So curious about #2, what would it take to have a version of D&D that is fun but the right amount of complexity for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure, Rob. Sometimes I really look hard at B/X D&D and think it's such a good system, but I don't love race-as-class at all and there are bits in it that I find annoying. AD&D is so clunky, but I know the system far, far better than anything other than GURPS. S&W is a close match, but even it isn't perfect. It's the one I'm most likely to run, with either AEC Labyrinth Lord or Basic Fantasy as possibilities. Still, none of them quite do the trick. It's a question I've bounced around a lot in my head.

      Delete
    2. Yeah there are a lot of choices each with their nuances. For my part, Generally I liked Swords & Wizardry but it was too minimal for what I did with the Majestic Wilderlands with GURPS, so I reworked it to cover more of what I needed and released the MW Supplement.

      Since then I ran campaigns and added a bit of this and a bit of that until 10 years later I have my own system. Still compatible with Swords & Wizardry but also it own thing.

      Two years ago, I distilled the player stuff into a basic set of rules.
      http://www.batintheattic.com/downloads/MW%20Majestic%20Fantasy%20Basic%20RPG%20Rev%2010.pdf

      If you like that let me know and I will be glad to share the full rules with you.

      Delete
    3. I'll let you know. It's extremely unlikely I'll ever actually run the game, though. I'd need a lot more frequency of gaming to get to it.

      Delete
    4. I should really do a post about what I especially like about each system. Such as the simple one-book presentation of Basic Fantasy, the Morale system of B/X D&D, etc. etc.

      Delete
    5. That would be a great post for your blog!

      Delete
  2. "Dungeon Fantasy Gamma World"

    DO EET!

    I mean, that's my game... well, it's more a 'weird fantasy kitchen sink post-post-apocalypse' than explicitly 'Gamma World', but I have toyed with trying to run more post-apoc version at times (I just like to have too much civilization and have a hard time justifying a lack of rebuilding that is implied in Gamma World). So the game most often ends up with the PCs venturing out in the far reaches of the lost territories, where the rebuilding, the civilization hasn't yet encroached, but they know that civilization is somewhere behind them so they always feel like they can just go running to to the city (even if it would take a month) if things truly go bad. Which isn't really a 'Gamma World' thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may at some point - it would be a fun change of pace. It just keeps falling being actual Gamma World and actual DF games.

      Delete
    2. Falling behind, I meant to type.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...