Wednesday, May 27, 2020

More Operation Uranus

I'm not exactly sure why I've gotten hooked on Operation Uranus in Gary Grigsby's War in the East. Maybe because I'm reading about Case Blue (the German operation that led to the Battle of Stalingrad)? Maybe.

It's a fun scenario.

I did better this time, having moderated my approach and saved exploitation forces for, you know, actual exploitation. I haven't cut the Nazis off - the AI clearly hasn't gotten Der Fuhrer's command not to budge an inch and just outright abandoned Stalingrad - but I've got a more serious cut of their rail lines and made sure to seize the right places to earn some Victory Points (VP.)



What's also better is that I saw some YouTube videos of people with nicer maps. So I went and downloaded the so-called "A Rainy Day in Russia" maps.

Why aren't these the default? Why is a player-generated mod vastly superior in attractiveness and readability to the official maps?

Whatever. I'm just glad it's a simple file swap.

Bask in the more attractive maps!




Here is how it went to turn 4:



On turn 5, I surrounded and annihilated a number of German divisions and put myself here for the final turn:



And in the end, I advanced past several of my objectives and just short of a few more. Still, having inflicted ~195,000 casualties, 2604 guns and 164 AFVs for only ~130,000 or so. 1917 guns and 778 AFVs, I was well in the lead. They're not 1:1 on points because the Soviets can afford more losses. The Soviets out-produced the Nazies by more than the 5:1 in AFVs that I lost.







Fun game, and I feel like I'm getting a little more of the hang of it. I'm not quite ready for the campaign game . . . one recorded playthrough runs 70+ episodes of 2+ hours each. Yeah . . . I'm not sure that's for me right now. So fun though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...