Saturday, July 5, 2014

A little bit of Boxed Text

Boxed text gets a lot of hate.

Personally, I like it. When I was starting out, I really had no clear idea of what to tell players and what not to tell players. Figuring out what to present, and how, really threw me off. To this day I still have trouble with knowing how much to say and how to say it without blurting out too much.

I found this nice quote on using Boxed Text in Return to White Plume Mountain:

"Text that appears in shaded boxed is player information, which the DM should read aloud or paraphase when appropriate."

I think that's a good thing to keep in mind. It's not there as prose, it's there as a helpful - you can read it aloud if you're not feeling inspired. You can parphase it if you are. You know nothing in there is stuff you shouldn't say out loud.

These days, I think I'd do a lot better with a few carefully chosen words to riff off of. But one problem when you write adventures is that you need to write equally for the newish GM having trouble explaining details and knowing how to improvise, and for the experienced improvisor. What I'd write for my boxed text key words might not make sense to another person. You need to be complete if you're going to write for everyone . . . and I can see how boxed text came out of that.

I know some people resent having any player-facing information at all, that the GM/DM should just make it all up - but I'm not that sort. I like the stuff, and I like it when the writers remind you it's your tool to use as you will, not a verbatim reading assignment.

7 comments:

  1. I am not bothered by boxed text, but don't find it directly useful most times. Most of the time it is written assuming say, a party of humans using torches/lantherns, not:
    1 party member with Darkvision, 1 with Infravision, 1 with Mage Light, 1 with Mage Light and Mage Sight/See Secrets, and 1 with sonic vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. But it's bad form to assume those extraordinary powers. If you've got PCs like that, you're already well into the range of judgment calls on what you need to add. Even without, I give more information and less information based on the PC's abilities. Still, it's nice to have a base to work off of, especially when I'm at a loss for appropriate vocabulary. I don't always bring my most clear-speaking self to game with me, but pre-written text (and pre-written notes of my own) help immensely!

      Delete
  2. For me boxed text is two edged. There are always variables playing into a scene and the information is a good starting point. However, there are many GMs who rely too heavily on just the information provided without taking in the circumstances which leads to problems. I enjoy a solid description that is culled out of the general text so I know the pertinent information.

    Dan Yocom
    Guildmastergaming@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you there - it's an easy tool for GMs to misuse or overuse. Of course, that applies to friendly NPCs, favorite monsters, and other tools in the toolbox. Misused, it sucks. Used correctly, I find it's very handy.

      Delete
  3. Same could be said about running a cut scene cinematic. I don't do it often but when it turns up its there to add to the game, not detract from player involvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a short punchy cutscene can add to a game. A long one starring the NPCs is zzzzzzzzz . . . oh sorry, I drifted off there. What happened? We shoot at it!

      Delete
  4. I had a DM once that read out the box text (in English) and did all the rest of the DMing in Icelandic. IT threw me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...