Friday, September 10, 2021

Assorted Links for 9/10/21

Random links!

-In Defense of the +1 Doohickey...

The comments have some good non-+1 doohickey information.

Me, I'm a fan of the plain vanilla +1 doohickey and the special stuff. So I mostly agree with the original poster.

- Tim Brennan had, according to this blog post about Dragon #110, a changing relationship with Elminster, but spent a good chunk of time not liking the guy, as I read his words to mean.

I loved the Elminster stuff in Dragon magazine.

In actually play in the Forgotten Realms . . . I just made him a sage. A really learned one, but not a problem-solving dragon-smashing adventurer wizard. I wanted to push the players to solve things, not find the 26th level NPC wizard who could do it for them. 26th level for a magic-user in 1st edition AD&D is over 5.5 million XP, isn't it?

But yeah, I came down hard on having too many Player Smackdown NPCs.

- Fiend Folio discussion, complete with comments saying, basically, the Fiend Folio sucks. Heh. I obviously disagree.

- I'm going to try writing another DF-related piece, but I'm not sure on what, yet. But it is time to write more. I am curious what from Felltower people would think would make good DF material. I already did Artifacts of Felltower, and inserted some of Felltower into Megadungeons and Gates, and wrote up the longjawed lizardman temple, as well. What else?

14 comments:

  1. How about Boss Encounters of Felltower? I’d love to see Sterric, The Lord of Spite, heck even the two giants the guys have been banging their heads against. Encounters designed to challenge experienced parties with advice on how to run them effectively - maybe with included treasure hoards. I’d buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm . . . I'm not sure it would fly without pictures . . . and I stole Sterick's location from an AD&D module . . . but I think there is stuff I could work up. Durak, the Lord of Spite, is totally my own, as is his lair. So are others . . .

      Delete
  2. Monsters of Felltower? I assume there's artwork issues.

    A collection of smart and otherwise miraculous swords and other weapons.

    Dungeon Fantasy Martial Arts is obvious but not specific to Felltower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artwork is really the issue with monsters, sadly.

      DFT3 has all of the magic weapons discovered so far - and some others the PCs have failed to find. So I don't really have a reservoir of items yet to be discovered.

      DFMA would be interesting . . . I need to give that a think.

      Delete
  3. DF Monsters: Felltower?

    I dunno, I can't really think of anything you've done for Felltower aside from your House Ruled spells and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It probably wouldn't work as a book, but I'd love to see "Missed Opportunities of Felltower" that goes over the things the PCs screwed themselves out of, because they sold off what was clearly a magic key or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. DF Felltower: Don't Sell that Fish! would be fun to write.

      Delete
  5. I think this group (and others) would benefit from a book like Keith Ammann's "Live to Tell the Tale: Combat Tactics for Player Characters," which is a D&D 5E third party product. Something like: "Dungeon Fantasy 25: How to Get Rich by Killing Monsters and Taking Their Stuff Without Major Casualties," or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see myself writing a "how you should kill the monsters I write up" book. I have definite opinions, but it should really be written from the experience, and point of view, of PCs. A GM-written book is too much like buying a game and the hint book.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, good point. It has me thinking…

      Delete
  6. Imma second that rumors recommendation. Is there a process for coming up with them? What level of truth may or may not underlie them? How does one deal with aging? Low crunch, high utility for a lot of campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. You have a point there. It might be short, but it would be useful. It would make a good post if I can't make enough detail to fill an article.

      I can't recall how many rumors I wrote up so far, but it's got to be a couple hundred or so. And re-reading them amuses the hell out of me, since I know what they mean and what they turned in to in the players' minds.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...